Red Wine Risotto
I love a good risotto and any variation on the traditional white rice variety is a bonus when you have friends to supper. A Red Wine Risotto gives your meal a touch of class. Try is as a starter dish for a three course supper this weekend. Serve it with a mixed leaf salad and some more red wine, of course!
Ingredients: (Serves 4 mains or 8 starters)
450ml red wine
600ml hot chicken stock
1tbs vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
2 onions - finely chopped
300g risotto rice
250g mushrooms - sliced
salt and pepper
175g Parmesan cheese - grated
- Heat the wine in a large saucepan to a gentle simmer. Add the stock.
- Melt half the butter with the oil in another saucepan. Add the garlic and onions and fry gently for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the rice and stir well so it is covered with the butter and oil. Add the hot stock mixture, a large splash at a time, stirring until each addition is absorbed into the rice. When half the stock has been absorbed, add the mushrooms and a good dash of salt and pepper. Carry on adding the stock in this way, cooking until the rice is creamy but still firm, which should take about 20 minutes.
- When all the stock has been added and the rice is just cooked, add most of the Parmesan cheese and the rest of the butter.
- Mix well, cover and leave for a few minutes, then sprinkle the rest of the grated Parmesan cheese over the top and dish up.