An easy recipe for Meatball Casserole that makes a tasty 'comfort' dish for all the family for those cold and wet spring evenings. Try it!
Ingredients (serves 4):
450g lean minced beef
1 medium onion – chopped
5ml dried mixed herbs
1 egg – beaten
2 medium potatoes – diced
1 medium green pepper – seeded and sliced
1 medium carrot – thinly sliced
283g can of chopped tomatoes
Method (serves 4):-
- Mix together meat, half the onion, herbs and egg.
- Using dampened hands shape into 16 small balls.
- Gently fry batches of the meatball in butter until browned on the surface.
- Remove the meatballs to an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add the remaining onion and vegetables to butter in the pan and fry for 5 minutes.
- Blend the cornflour with a little stock, and then add to the pan with the remaining stock and the tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, stirring and cook for 1 minute. Pour into the casserole dish.
- Cover and cook at 190’C or Gas Mark 5 for 40 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with cheese with garlic bread on the side.