Bread and Butter Pudding
Bread and Butter Pudding is a 'real' school-dinner pudding from my youth and I still love it! The difference these days is that I can add a drop of sherry to it if I like. Try this easy to make pudding and relive your school-days.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
4 slices of white bread - crusts removed
4tbs apricot jam
25g mixed peel
2 eggs - beaten
- Grease a 1.5 litre or similar oven-proof dish with 15g of the butter
- Butter the bread and spread with the apricot jam.
- Cut the slices into triangles, then layer in the dish, sprinkling the mixed peel and sultanas between the layers.
- Put the milk and sugar into a saucepan and heat until boiling. Take off the heat and whisk in the eggs and then the sherry.
- Pour the mixture over the bread and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180'C or Gas Mark 4
- Put the dish into a roasting tin and fill with water to halfway up the sides. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Turn up the heat to 190'C or Gas Mark 5 and cook for another 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden on top.
- Serve with custard.