I've been away for a week in Spain, so I missed Pancake Day on Shrove Tuesday. I thought I would make up for it today with a Sweet Pancake. You can add any topping you like - sugar and a squeeze of lemon, jam, chocolate sauce or your favourite liqueur. Here goes:-
Ingredients: (makes 8)
125g plain flour
pinch of salt
1 egg - lightly beaten
25g butter - melted
vegetable oil or butter - for greasing the pan
- Put the flour into a bowl and make a hole in the centre.
- Pour the egg and a little of the milk into the hole.
- Whisk, slowly adding the all the milk and melted butter to make a smooth paste.
- Pour into a jug or pint glass.
- Put a little oil or butter into a frying pan and heat until it starts to smoke.
- Pour off any extra oil and pour a little batter into the pan, tilting the pan until the base is coated in a thin layer.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the bottom goes golden.
- Flip the pancake over and cook for another 30 to 45 seconds until golden on the second side.
- Make the rest of the pancakes in the same way, greasing the pan if the pancakes start sticking.
- Serve with your favourite topping.