BAKED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
If you haven't tried butternut squash for a while, then this recipe is a must for a midweek winter meal on a cold and wet evening. It's a very filling dish, so don't plan anything too energetic after eating it. Real yummy comfort food!
Ingredients: (serves 4)
2 small butternut squash
3tbs olive oil
1 large onion - finely chopped
1 garlic clove - crushed
1tbs chopped thyme
1tsp ground coriander
50g walnuts - toasted and chopped
50g sun-dried tomatoes in oil - drained and chopped
2tbs basil - chopped
200g goats' cheese - cut into 8 slices
salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 190'C or Gas Mark 5.
- Prick each butternut squash several times and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a frying pan, add the onion, garlic, thyme and coriander and fry gently for 10 minutes.
- Heat the rest of the oil in another frying pan and fry the breadcrumbs for 4 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Cut each squash in half lengthways and take out the seeds. carefully scoop out the flesh, chop finely and tip into a bowl. Stir in the onion mixture, breadcrumbs, walnuts, tomatoes and basil and add a good dash of salt and pepper.
- Divide the filling among the squash shells and top with the goats' cheese. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes before serving hot.