THYME AND MUSHROOM GRAVY
There is nothing more tasty than sausage and mash with a rich gravy, but sadly few folk can rustle-up a good gravy. Grill spicy sausages, then pile onto a bed of creamy mashed potato and then top with this top class gravy. Chase it all down with a glass of chilled beer.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
2tbs olive oil
1 onion - sliced
2tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
50g mushrooms - coarsely chopped
2tbs plain flour
125ml port or other fortified wine
250ml vegetable stock
2tbs dark soy sauce
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry until golden brown.
- Add the herbs and mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the port or wine, vegetable stock and soy sauce and simmer, stirring, until the gravy has thickened slightly, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Pour the gravy into a jug and serve.