Lemon Bread and Butter Pudding
I don't know about you but I love Bread and Butter Pudding and here is a slightly different take on an old favourite. Why not make it this weekend?
100g of Sultanas
Zest of one lemon finely grated.
1 tbs of lemon juice.
Put these ingredients into a basin, stir well, and leave to soak for at least 1 hour (but best overnight)
7 x thick slices of white bread with crusts removed.
50g of softened butter.
4 tbs of lemon curd.
250ml whole milk
250ml whipping cream
3 medium eggs
25g caster sugar.
half tsp vanilla essence
- Pre heat the oven to 190' or gas mark 5
- Grease a 1.5 litre shallow Pyrex dish with butter.
- Spread the bread slices with the butter and plenty of lemon curd
- Cut each slice into 4 triangles
- Line the bottom of the Pyrex dish with half the triangles, butter/curd side up.
- Scatter with half of the soaked sultanas.
- Arrange the rest of triangles over the top decoratively, butter/curd side up.
- Scatter the remainder of the sultanas over the top.
- Whisk together, Milk, Sugar, Eggs, and Vanilla and beat well and pour over the top
- Leave to soak for 5 to 10 mins, pressing down occasionally, to soak well.
- Place the Pyrex dish into large roasting tin and pour boiling water from the kettle into the tin until it comes halfway up the sides of Pyrex dish.
- Place the tin with Pyrex dish inside, into the oven and cook for 30 mins until the pudding 'puffs up' and turns golden brown.
- Leave to stand for 5/10 mins.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.
- Serve warm with pouring cream. And ENJOY !