As I prepare for my summer trip to Italy, it is time to get me in the mood for great Italian cuisine. So this classic Italian salad is a colourful combination of tomatoes, black olives, hard-boiled eggs and golden croutons. Why don't you try it.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
300g tomatoes - cut into wedges
6 black olives
2 sun-dried tomatoes in oil - drained and thinly sliced
salt and pepper
1 small crusty sesame roll - cut into cubes
2tbs olive oil
1tbs balsamic vinegar
basil leaves - a few torn leaves
- Heat the oven to 200'C or Gas Mark 6
- Put eggs into a saucepan of water, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes until hard-boiled. Drain, rinse under cold water then leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the cubes of sesame roll into a plastic bag with the olive oil and toss together. Tip on to a baking sheet and bake these croutons in the oven for 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Put the tomatoes, olives and sun-dried tomatoes into a large bowl. Add the balsamic vinegar and basil and salt and pepper, then toss together.
- Peel the eggs, cut them into wedges and add to the salad with the warm croutons.
- Eat straight away.