These festive cookies can make a lovely present - as well as a teatime treat on Christmas Day. Have a go, you wont be disappointed and friends will appreciate a home-made gift this Christmas.
Ingredients: (makes about 12)
75g butter - plus extra or greasing
50g icing sugar
1 small lemon rind - finely grated
1 egg yolk
175g plain flour - plus extra for dusting
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and lemon rind together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolk and then sift in the flour and a pinch of salt.
- Knead together to form a smooth dough
- Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190'C or Gas Mark 5.
- Lightly grease two baking trays.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 3 mm thickness.
- Using a 6 cm cutter, stamp out as many cookies as you can, with the cutter dipped in flour to prevent it from sticking to the dough. (You can use decorative shaped cutters too).
- Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking trays.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until they begin to colour around the edges.
- Cool slightly on the baking trays, then transfer to a wire rack.