With friends and family calling-in over the weekend to deliver Christmas gifts and cards, I thought I'd make up a pan of hot mulled wine that could be left on the oven as visitors come and go. I promised to share the recipe on the blog and here it is. It couldn't be simpler.
Ingredients: (makes six large glasses)
1 bottle of red wine
60g demerara stick
1 cinnamon stick
nutmeg - grated
1 orange - halved
1 bay leaf - dried
60ml sloe or damson gin (optional)
- Put the wine in a saucepan with the orange, sugar, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and nutmeg.
- Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Taste to see if you want the wine sweeter and add more sugar to taste.
- Take the pan off the heat, stir in the sloe or damson gin, if you are using it.
- Strain the mulled wine into heatproof glasses and serve with a home-made mince pie.