Fish cakes make a great starter if you are planning to cook a celebratory meal. Alternatively they make a tasty mid-week meal with mashed potatoes, peas and parsley sauce, which is how I like them. Or you could mix some mayo with lemon juice for a tangy dip and dish up the fish cakes with a green salad, whether as a starter or as a main course. You don't have to use an expensive fish, like fresh salmon or cod, left-overs from another fish meal will do, or like me, try using tinned tuna as the basis for you fish cakes. Go on have a go!
Ingredients: (serves 4)
25g butter or margarine
300g canned tuna or salmon (that's 3 x 120g cans)
2tbs parsley - chopped
salt and pepper
2 eggs - beaten
oil for frying
- Peel and boil the potatoes and then leave to cool.
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl with the butter or margarine
- Mix in the fish, parsley, a dash of salt and pepper and half the beaten egg.
- Cover and put in the fridge for 20 minutes
- Divide the fish mix into 8 burgers.
- Dip each one into the rest of the beaten egg, then into the breadcrumbs until well covered.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the fish cakes and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Eat immediately with a salad, or chips, or with mashed potatoes, peas and parsley sauce