Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Anchovies
We have a load of ripe cherry tomatoes waiting to be picked from our greenhouse and what better way to benefit from those sweet little 'toms' than to put them on bruschetta. This Italian delicacy of garlic bread topped with fresh tomatoes makes a delicious starter and adding anchovies gives them an extra zing. Eat them while they are hot as otherwise the toasted bread will go soggy. Here goes:-
Ingredients: (serves 2)
2 slices of ciabatta bread
2 garlic cloves
small handful of parsley or basil - chopped
olive oil - to drizzle
- Cut a cross at the stem end of each tomato.
- Put the tomatoes in a bowl and pour boiling water over to cover. Leave for 1-2 minutes, then drain and peel off the skins.
- Dice the tomatoes and put to one side.
- Cut and toast the bread on both sides under a medium grill until brown.
- Rub the garlic over one side of the bread; the bread acts as a grater and the garlic is evenly spread over the bread.
- Sprinkle the bruschetta with the parsley/basil and the salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Spoon on the chopped tomatoes.
- Lay a couple of anchovies on top of each piece and finish with a sliced olive.