Fusilli with Sausages
This is a great little recipe if you fancy a pasta dish tonight. Any pasta will do, but I particularly like fusilli with sausages.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
440g spicy pork sausages
1 small onion – chopped
2 garlic cloves – crushed
1 large yellow pepper – deseeded and cut into strips
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp chilli sauce
400g can of plum tomatoes
250ml vegetable stock
300g fresh or dried fusilli pasta
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pecorino cheese – freshly grated to serve
- Grill the sausages for 10 to 12 minutes until they are browned, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat cooking oil in a large frying pan or saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook over a low heat, stirring frequently for 5 to 7 minutes until soft. Add the yellow pepper, paprika, herbs, and chilli sauce to taste. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Tip in the canned tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon, add salt and pepper to taste and stir well. Cook over a medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, adding vegetable stock gradually as the sauce reduces.
- Cut the cooked sausages diagonally into 1 cm pieces. Add to the sauce, reduce the heat to ‘low’ and cook for 10 minutes. (Maybe throw-in a few other vegetables to give some 'bite')
- Cook the pasta, drain and add the sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese.