Mozzarella Stacks - a classy lasagne
Having recently blogged about tomatoes and mozzarella, I fancy a lunch today that uses this delightful Italian cheese. This dish is a classy lasagne with a difference and is ideal for impressing your friends - lusciously rich and tasty. Have a go, you'll love it!
Ingredients (serves 4):
2tbs olive oil
2 onions - chopped
2 garlic cloves - crushed and chopped
500g mushrooms - sliced
4tbs double cream
4tbs white wine
1tsp thyme - chopped
8 sheets of ready-cooked lasagne
2 red peppers - core, deseeded, skinned and thickly sliced
125g baby spinach leaves
125g mozzarella cheese - cut into 4 slices
50g Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
- Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan, add the onions and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms, turn up the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, white wine, thyme, salt and pepper and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Put 4 sheets of lasagne in a large oven-proof dish. Spoon on a generous spoonful of the mushroom mixture onto each piece of lasagne, add some red pepper slices and half of the spinach leaves and put another piece of lasagne on top.
- Add the rest of the spinach leaves, a slice of mozzarella and top with a little more mushroom mixture.
- Finish with some Parmesan shavings.
- Place the lasagne under a hot grill and cook for 5 minutes until the mushroom mixture is bubbling and the Parmesan is golden.
- Cut and serve while hot with crusty bread.