Everyone loves a good treacle sponge with custard or cream. Why not try this recipe sometime this week and make a comforting dessert that the whole family will love. If you want to make a jam sponge instead, then simply use strawberry, raspberry, apricot or plum jam instead of the treacle.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
125 g butter - softened and cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
125 g caster sugar
2 large eggs
125 g self raising flour
8 tbs golden syrup
1 tbs water
- Grease a 900 ml pudding basin or similar ovenproof bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in another bowl until really creamy, light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour with the second egg.
- Fold in the rest of the flour.
- Spoon 4 tablespoons of the golden syrup into the basin, then pour the sponge mixture on top.
- Cover the basin with foil, making a pleat across the centre so the pudding can rise.
- Put the basin in a large saucepan, with enough water to come halfway up the side of the basin.
- Boil for 2 hours, adding more boiling water when necessary.
- To make the treacle sauce, heat 4 tablespoons of the syrup and the water in a small saucepan.
- Tip out the cooked pudding on to a plate and pour the hot sauce over the top.
- Serve with custard, cream or ice cream.