Poached Eggs With Ham and Herb Tomatoes
This delicious combination is the healthy version of the traditional greasy full English breakfast.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
4 ripe tomatoes - halved
2tbs chopped basil
4tbs vegetable oil
salt and pepper
4 slices of ham
4 large eggs
toast or toasted muffins to serve
- Put the tomatoes cut-side up on a grill pan.
- Mix the basil with 2tbs of the oil and drizzle over the cut tomatoes.
- Add lots of salt and pepper.
- Cook under a medium grill for 7 minutes, until soft
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan and and fry the ham until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
- To poach the eggs, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the vinegar, then stir the water rapidly in a circular motion to make a whirlpool.
- Break an egg into the centre of the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Dish up on buttered toasted muffins or toast with a slice of ham and some grilled tomatoes. Add a slice of cheese, if you like!
- Cook the other 3 eggs in the same way.