Fresh Tomato Soup
With a glut of fresh tomatoes ripening in the greenhouse, you can only eat so much salad in a week, so the only answer to making the best use of the excess fruit, is to make fresh tomato soup. There is nothing to beat it for taste. Here goes:-
Ingredients: (serves 4)
2 onions - peeled and chopped
1 carrot - peeled and diced finely
1 clove garlic - peeled and crushed
1 stick celery - finely chopped
2tbs olive oil
450g fresh ripe tomatoes - halved
1 litre vegetable stock
salt and pepper
handful fresh basil
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic.
- Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the sugar, salt, pepper and tomatoes. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Liquidise until smooth.
- Stir in the basil.
- Maybe top with a little grated cheese.
- Eat with crusty wholemeal bread - delicious!
And why not freeze some soup for those cold winter months. It's easy, look!