Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry
Yesterday I blogged about the good news that Sweet Potatoes are now being grown in the UK, consequently bringing down the cost of this healthy and 'low- in-calorie' vegetable. Asda supermarket will be the first store to stock British-grown sweet potatoes, this weekend, at only 85p a bag. With this in mind, why not buy some sweet potatoes and cook this tasty curry. Everyone loves a curry and this vegetarian version is an extremely tasty dish.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
500g sweet potato - peeled and cut into large chunks
3tbs vegetable oil
1 red onion - chopped
2 garlic cloves - crushed
1 large red chilli - deseeded and chopped
400ml coconut milk
250g baby spinach - washed
- Cook the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain and put to one side.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, garlic and turmeric and fry over a gentle heat, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Stir in the chilli and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, stir well, then simmer for 4 minutes until the coconut milk has thickened slightly. Stir in the sweet potatoes and a dash of salt, then cook the curry for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, cover the pan and simmer gently for 3 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted and the curry has heated through.
- Serve with rice or a naan bread or chapattis.