Chilli and Peach Chicken
This is an unusual combination but it makes a lovely spring meal and it will definitely get your taste buds tingling. You can use king prawns as an alternative to chicken. Try it this week!
50g palm sugar or dark muscovado sugar
1tsp ground tumeric
1 red chilli - deseeded and finely shredded
5 cm piece of fresh ginger - peeled and finely grated
3tbs fish sauce
Juice of 2 limes
4tbs peach conserve/jam
8 boned chicken thighs - leave the skin on
2tbs light oil
3 garlic cloves - sliced
4 spring onions - chopped
a few peanuts
- Put the sugar, turmeric and water in a small saucepan and heat slowly, stirring, for 3 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the chilli, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice and conserve. Increase the heat and bubble for 2 minutes until a deep, golden caramel brown. Remove from the heat.
- Cut the chicken into large, bite-sized pieces. Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan and fry the chicken with the garlic for 4 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
- Pour in half the chilli peach caramel and let it bubble up and sizzle for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the spring onions, mint and peanuts, squeeze over a little lime and serve immediately with boiled or fried rice and a few green beans.
- The remaining chilli peach caramel can be served separately.