This is a great little dish and quick and easy to prepare, as the stuffing is not cooked, merely heated through and is more like a warm salad than a hot filling. Roasting the peppers gives them a unique flavour and their natural sweetness combines perfectly with the tangy wheat salad.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
100g bulghur wheat
2 red, yellow or orange peppers
150g feta cheese - crumbled
3 handfuls of fresh herbs such as dill, parsley, mint, basil and coriander - chopped
1 garlic cove - crushed
2tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
3tbs olive oil
sae salt an d black pepper
- Put the bulghur wheat in a bowl, cover with boiling water and let stand for 30 minutes, until the grains are puffed and swollen. Drain, if necessary.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthways and scrape out and discard the seeds and membranes. Leave the stalk, which will help hold the peppers in shape.
- Put the remaining ingredients n a bowl, add the soaked bulghur wheat, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pile the stuffing into the pepper halves.
- Cook on a stove-top grill pan until the peppers are tender and blackened underneath and the stuffing is warmed through.
- Serve with a crisp, green salad and warned pita bread.