Key Lime Pie
The girlfriend of one of our sons makes a great dessert and so I asked her recently for the recipe to share with readers. Well, here it is, Petch's Key Lime Pie - worth a try this weekend.
Ingredients: (serves 6-8)
200g crumbled digestive biscuits
85g unsalted butter - melted
400g sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
1tbs lime zest plus extra for garnish (about 3 limes)
120ml freshly squeezed lime juice (about 6 limes)
350ml double cream - chilled
- Heat the oven to 180'C or Gas Mark 4
- Combine the crumbled digestive biscuits and melted butter in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Press the mixture into a 23cms pie dish and bake in the oven until lightly browned - about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Lower the oven to 160'C or Gas Mark 3.
- In a medium bowl, gently whisk together the condensed milk, egg yolks, lime zest and juice. Pour into the prepared cooled crust.
- Return the pie to the oven and bake until the centre is set but still quivers when the pan is nudged - about 15-20 minutes.
- Let the pie cool completely in the tin on top of a wire cooling rack.
- Once pie has cooled, place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
- Before serving, lightly whip the cream into soft peaks. Spread the cream over the chilled pie.
- Garnish with a little more lime or lime zest.