Ingredients: (makes 3.5Kg or 8lbs)
1.8Kg Cooking Apples
3 plump garlic cloves
60g fresh root ginger
1 large red chilli
1 litre distilled malt vinegar (but we used the malt vinegar we already had in the house)
550g light muscovado sugar
2tbs ground turmeric
- Peel, core and chop the apples. Chop the onions, garlic and ginger. Deseed the chilli and chop.
- Put the apples onions, garlic, ginger and chilli in a large preserving pan (above).
- Pour in the vinegar and stir in the sugar, turmeric and salt.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then simmer for about 1 hour until thick. Sir often as the mixture educes to avoid it catching on the bottom of the pan and burning.
- Spoon into hot sterilized jars, cover with waxed seals, label and store in a cool dark place for about 2 weeks before using.
- Then try it on a Ploughman's Lunch, with mature Cheddar cheese or on your Christmas ham.