Pumpkin, Sage and Chilli Risotto
Hopefully, you kept the flesh of the pumpkin while hollowing out the vegetable to make your Halloween lantern - so this risotto will be an easy meal this week. The chilli adds a zing to the pumpkin and if you like your food spicy you can always throw in a couple more. Try it!
Ingredients: (serves 4)
1 large onion - finely chopped
1 red chilli - deseeded and finely chopped
500g pumpkin - roughly chopped chunks
500g risotto rice
1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
3tbs sage - chopped
75g Parmesan cheese - grated
10g half walnuts
salt and pepper
- Heat half the butter and fry the onions for 5 minutes until soft but not brown. Stir in the chilli and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the pumpkin and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir well to coat the grains with butter and oil. Add the hot stock, a large spoonful at a time, stirring each time until the stock is absorbed into the rice. Continue adding stock in this way,cooking until the rice is creamy but the grains are still firm. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Add some salt and pepper, then stir in the sage, the rest of the butter and the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and leave the risotto to rest for a few minutes, drop a few Parmesan shavings and some half walnuts on top.
- Serve and enjoy.